Monday, January 28, 2008

TV08:US Gloss

This is a post high-lighting the Glossy new US shows coming to our screens in February. Since Lost and Desperate Housewives drew massive ratings three years ago, the networks have been offering up shiny new shows from the USA. Of course Seven has received the pick of the best US shows and appears to be the network which promotes its new US shows the most.

This year they have some more shows from America to serve up.

Dirty Sexy Money has a moderately star-studded cast with Donald Sutherland and William Baldwin. It could appeal to some people because everyone loves shows about cash, scandals and sex. But there is something about this show which doesn't appeal to me. Perhaps it is all the talk of scandals and families which look perfect but underneath there is controversy and intrigue... I feel like I have seen all this before in shows like Desperate Housewives.

Samantha Who is a piece of comedy fluff which is fronted by Christina Applegate, who has bobbed around and popped up in different things before this show. I might watch this show once just to see if it is entertaining but I don't really like the look of it. In the ads Applegate's Samantha is being portrayed as another ditzy, clumsy female, just like Ugly Betty.

Pushing Daisies looks like a pretty unique show, just by the fact that it looks pretty original. For this reason I might have a look but I hope it's not too quirky and doesn't go too much into the sci-fi realm, given that the guy can bring things back to life with his touch.

Private Practice, Cashmere Mafia and Lipstick Jungle are all in the same catergory for me, basically because I will not watch any of them. To me they seem like clones of Grey's Anatomy, Sex and the City and Sex and the City respectively. I didn't like either of those shows either so why should I watch their re-incarnations. Is it a female thing?

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles: This show shouldn't last very long for one main reason. There's no Arnie and they call it Terminator. I was never a big fan of the movies and I don't think I will watch this show. The last show like this Bionic Woman failed so I don't see how this is much different.

Women's Murder Club isn't this just Sex and the City crossed with Law and Order? I don't know. Either way it doesn't interest me.

Well, is it just me who isn't that interested in these shiny new shows? I will stick with the older US shows like Lost, Desperate Housewives and maybe House. Now is the perfect time for Australian content to flourish. If you have seen any of these shows and I am wrong in any of my assumptions, please let me know.

No comments: